Cornell History

The story of Cornell starts in 1946 when 5 people working at Pacific Pump Company decided to head out on their own. Having a complete service department, they became familiar with what most of the common pump failures were. Many motor failures came from pressure spikes during operation, overloading capacity and water related failures of the pump end motor bearings. With many parts in stock and facilities to fabricate the rest, Cornell would service any model of pump.

The Cornell team asked themselves, "Can we do better?" In 1949 (at 265 North Hancock, P.O. Box 7762) the "Rain-O-Flow" irrigation pumps were designed and manufactured to be irrigation specific models with features that we felt would solve many problems that we were seeing in the repair shop.

During this time, Clint Warren traveled around the country giving lectures on applied hydraulics. These evolved into what we now know as Pump School.

Soon farmers and industrial clients had other pump needs that they asked Cornell to address. The non-clog line of pumps was developed to deal with solids in the pumpage. We started building completely portable sewage lift stations in various sizes and shapes that incorporated vacuum primers, dehumidifiers, and control panels. (Compak Station) Also during this time we had a large stock of Johnston turbines on hand for rental.

Used primarily in bridge and dam construction, these massive units provided the capital for Cornell to expand its product line. The interaction with construction companies lead to new developments. During dam construction, the thick concrete traps heated up inside causing the concrete to cure unevenly and thereby lose strength. The solution was to modify a Cornell water pump to pump liquid ammonia through the concrete to cool it.

Today Cornell is placed as one of the market leaders in pump designs, with their motto being “Efficient by design”.